NIV 50th Anniversary: Made to Share
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of commissioning the NIV, Zondervan has developed the NIV Zondervan Study Bible. I picked up a sampler of this Bible at this year’s ICRS and took a few photos of the demo (its pages were blank). What I noticed is that it was a huge Bible. The sampler gave a good idea of the kind of info it would have.
I received a review copy of this Bible a few weeks ago and at 3000 pages it’s the largest study Bible I’ve ever seen. You can see an overview here: Unpacking God’s Story
Here are some interesting links with more info about the NIV and the Zondervan NIV Study Bible:
- Additional stories related to “Made to Share,” the history of the translation committee and the current Committee on Bible Translation:
- Karen Jobes: A Champion for Structural Accuracy
- The NIrV: Bringing God’s Word to Developing English Readers
- Pastors and the NIV: They Say That the Contemporary Translation Brings Congregations Closer to the Word
- Paul Swarup: For This CBT Member, the NIV’s Influence Spans Decades and Thousands of Miles
The free NIV 50th Anniversary Bible App (available in IOS and Android) provides free access to the NIV, additional quarterly content, and the notes from a variety of NIV Bibles for the 2015 calendar year
- A 365-day reading plan drawn from an NIV study or devotional Bible, delivered via email
- An academic-level review of the translation philosophy of the NIV by Doug Moo (presented at the 2014 ETS meetings)
- The NIV Bible Facebook Page and Twitter Feed
Here’s a video with more information:
I particularly liked this infographic that shows the breadth and depth of NIV support materials produced for studying the Bible — more than any other English translation:
The anniversary and release of the Zondervan Study Bible take place later this year. Stay tuned for my detailed review of the study Bible.